General Summary: Northern Arizona Orthopaedics is an independent, physician-owned practice with a community of 80+ employees, 13 physicians and 5 locations throughout Northern Arizona. Our hallmark is our people and their united efforts to deliver exceptional orthopaedic and spine care to our customers – the patients. At NAO, our professional Surgery Schedulers are key members of a very tight, integrated team, each functioning as a dedicated Specialty Center within NAO.
The main responsibility for Surgery Scheduler is to work with multiple patients daily, to determine the right time in a patient’s schedule to secure a necessary surgical procedure with the physician. This role relies heavily on use of computers, phones and personal interactions with the patient. The Surgery Scheduler must be a strong multi-tasker, practical thinker and customer-service minded individual. Communication etiquette is key. Additional duties may arise and be integrated in, as needed, to support the functions of the Specialty Center team.
- Work closely with individual patients to schedule surgeries and procedures either by phone or one-on-one with the patient.
- Match physician’s availability with the patient’s preferences for a convenient date and time to undergo a surgery.
- Maintain scheduling system so patient charts are accurate, up-to-date and complete. Ensure updates (e.g., cancellations, changes, and additions) are entered in to the schedule daily.
- Communicate regularly with physicians/clinicians and other staff about any patient concerns and/or questions and issues related to scheduling.
- Check patient eligibility and obtain prior authorization, as needed.
- Complete Cost Estimates for upcoming surgeries.
- Keep up with a fast-paced, busy clinic, offer additional help and assume additional tasks, as needed.
Education: High-school diploma, required. 1-2 years post-high school education, preferred.
Experience: Minimum 3- years customer service experience, preferably in a medical practice setting.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Mental/Physical Requirements: Mostly sedentary with some standing, walking and reaching. Periodic stress from handling many calls and patient requests.
- Basic knowledge of medical practice protocols related to scheduling appointments.
- Confident with various computer systems, platforms and scheduling software.
- Understanding of customer service principles, techniques and etiquette.
- Basic understanding of healthcare industry insurance processes, types and benefits
- Must have good communication skills to effectively communicate with physicians, colleagues and patients.
- Computer skills – must be affluent in use of computers and using multiple programs at once.
- Ability to multitask effectively, while providing excellent customer service and a positive patient experience.
- Ability to communicate calmly and clearly with patients about appointments in all circumstances.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Northern Arizona Orthopaedics
For more information, call Rebecca at 226-2914.